>

Sunday, December 21, 2008

White Corn from Bangkok


In Victoria we do get delicious super sweet, juicy and crunchy corn in the summer, but the kind of corn I really love is this starchy and chewy corn that I used to eat in Thailand. And sadly, this is my very last one that was brought back (20 of them) from my last trip. Why only 20?! Next time I'll know better.

I know it as 'candle' corn or sometimes 'sticky rice' corn. Now that I think about it, I am not sure if they are their actual common names as I have only heard my mother using these names. And as I have become older and wiser, I started to realize that my mother is very creative and inventive.

The texture is indeed similar to sticky rice. And I suppose if one ever looks at the candle wax and wonders what the texture would be like in one's mouth, this would be it.

When I was on vacation in Mexico for 2 weeks in 2004, I didn't find much to eat (I was a vegetarian...) and this became my dinner of choice. Everyday. There were many kinds of toppings (I don't remember what and didn't pay much attention), but I always went with lime and chili powder. In Thailand the corn is dipped in salted water after being cooked. And I like to sprinkle extra salt, white pepper, and garlic powder on mine.

Until my next trip!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did they last this long; did you freeze them?

It's really called ข้าวโพดข้าวเหนียว, I googled it. Ja Fong Mae!